Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dirty Dishes!

My last few days have been CRAZY. Thursday around 11:30 pm I started having back pain on my right side. By midnight it was getting worse and unbearable and I just knew I had a kidney stone. Not sure what to do about the kids I was about to take myself to the ER while Jason stayed with them. But I got a hold of my wonderful Aunt who lives down the street and she came over to stay with the kids. So we headed to St. John's ER in Owasso. I was there FOREVER with horrible pain. It was the middle of the night so they couldn't scan me to find the stone. They kept giving me pain medicine that would last about thirty minutes. Anyone who has had a kidney stone knows that it is HORRIBLE! Anyway, about 5:30 in the morning the doctor, who was not very nice, told me they have given me everything they could give me and said I could go home or be admitted. "Go home" I was thinking I can't stop throwing up because of this pain how could I "go home." After I told him that I wanted to be admitted he said "well we are probably all full here so we'll have to transfer you." And I swear he rolled his eyes! I was just so upset. I was puking, crying and in horrible pain. They transferred me to St. John's in Tulsa. Once I got there the ER the nurses and doctors were wonderful. They were very concerned with my pain and got me in to be scanned immediately. It was around 7 or 8 am now and I had Jason go home to relieve my Aunt. Poor Jason had not slept all night. So anyway, I had a ultrasound done by my good friend Courtney Hiniger. Low and behold she found the stone. It was completely blocking my ureter and the fluid was backing up in my kidney. I wanted to take this information back to the doctor at St. John's Owasso and shove it in his face but I didn't. The doctor started me on tons of fluid to try and flush it out and got me settle in a room. I was there all day Friday being flushed with fluid and peeing non stop. I got to go home Saturday afternoon. The pain was gone I felt fine and I was ready to be home with my family. Well, I got home feeling good and late Saturday early Sunday I started hurting in my bladder. I didn't know if it was the effects of so much fluid but I tried to ignore it. Sunday evening at church I just couldn't take anymore and decided to leave to go to an Urgent Care. To my luck, all the Urgent Cares were closed. So I had to go to the dreaded St. John's ER again. I saw a different doc who was so nice. It did restore my faith in that place. I ended up having a bladder infection. I am just running low on luck. So bringing my LONG story to a close. I am feeling good now and hope not to see another ER for a long time!!!

Now back to those dirty dishes. My kitchen sink is just filled with filth!! Ella loves to take baths in the sink so a few weeks ago I decided to throw them both in. It started out pretty good, but Ryder is a stinker. He pulls up on EVERYTHING now. So I couldn't leave him in there too long.





A special thanks to Aunt Brenda and Aunt Annie for helping me with the kids! Ignore that my "Thanks" is under this picture!;)

18 comments:

sandybiggs said...

Oh Katie! What a horrible ordeal! Between your story, Kaleb's and what my kids' dr told me, I think I'll just skip Owasso and go straight to Tulsa if I ever need an ER!

Pambo said...

You poor thing! I've only had a kidney infection, not a stone, and I had a 104 fever with that. Yuck. I'm glad you finally got some relief for your pain and I think I would have puked on that mean doctor! Love the pics of the kids. Do they ever use the sprayer and get your kitched soaked?

Becky said...

You kitchen sink has never looked so good:D

laura said...

Well I'm so glad that your doing better!!!

Stacy said...

Oh I am so glad you are better! Cute pictures I would love to have your kitchen counter top beautiful but not as beautiful as your kids!
Love the last picture!

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

That's a stinky ER story! Glad you're better, though...what floor were you on @ St John Tulsa? I used to work on 10 East, we had lots of urology patients. I like the sink pics!...Ryder's gonna hate that last one when he's old enough for you to blackmail him with it:)

Mom's Club said...

hey, lovin' those photos!!! too cute!

Mom's Club said...

that's too bad about owasso's ER, I've actually heard good things about the wait and the docs...you should call up there and complain about that doc and all that, I would give them a piece of my mind! they'll never know how you were treated if you don't complain, especially when they are trying to get owasso people to use their ER.

Shannon said...

I feel for you...there's nothing worse than having people (especially doctors) not empathize with their patients when they are in pain. I went through a lot of that with a nurse when I was in labor with Sadie! Your kids are way too cute - and I LOVE your countertop in your kitchen! If we weren't going through a study on the 10 commandments at church right now, I would say that I am coveting it! But I won't! Anyway, hope you get to feeling better!

Crazy Me said...

Okay, so I think your dirty dishes look a lot better than mine ever do...I hate washing dishes (the real ones that is)...Sorry you haven't felt well, but I hope you are on the mend now.

Ashlee Osborn said...

Whoa, what a crazy week! I'm sorry all of that happened to you. I'm glad that you had your aunt, Jason, and Annie around to help out.

Super cute pictures of your kids in the bath-sink!

Jillian said...

That just royally stinks! I'm glad that you are doing better now, kidney stones are NO fun. Love the pics of the kids...too cute! Hope you continue to feel well!

Annie said...

Poor Katie! I know personally how horrible kidney stones are-YUCK! You know you can call ME anytime of the day or night for help! Love the stinkers in the sink, soooo cute!

Leslie said...

I know your pain, about 6 months ago I had 2 kidney stones and passed one, I'm living with the other for now, hopefully it doesn't get bigger. Glad you're feeling better... and the kids in the sink are precious!

Billie said...

yuck, Katie! I am glad you are feeling better!! Love the kids in the sink, they are so cute....
Blayre loves to look at Ella and really enjoys your mom's new header!!!

Unknown said...

Well, I hope you're feeling better!! Srry about the bad experience.

Love the picture's of you "Dirty Dishes." What is it with kids and kitchen sinks? Cash loves to soak in the sink too!!

Kina said...

Katie, I am soooo glad you are better now. I can't imagine being in so much pain, and only have a stone for it (which btw, no pictures of that? :D ) Love the kids in the sink, baby bum pictures are my favorite. I just want to squeeze those cheeks! (but I won't, promise)

Anonymous said...

Awe, I would have come to see you had I known your were at St. John Tulsa. I work there. I could have swung by... but I bet you were in no mood for visitors. :) Both of my parents, as well as my brother have had kidney stones. They were in a lot pain. That's the only time I've ever seen my dad cry!